» Mission & Objectives
» Major Concerns & Development Activities
» Likhaan Working Organization
» Likhaan Programs and Projects
» Likhaan Educational Programs & Training Courses
The Likhaan Group, Inc.
THE LIKHAAN GROUP ™ (TLG) is a Philippine-based network of development-driven, action-oriented organizations consisting of incorporated institutions, affiliated and associated organizations dedicated to the development of human creativity and improvement of social productivity. It is an alliance of non-profit and non-government organizations (NGO) and sectoral associations that supports private organizations, government institutions and local government units in their development programs, projects and activities.
Mission & Objectives
LIKHAAN is dedicated to the development of human creativity and the promotion of inventive activities. It stimulates the creation of technical and social inventions, and improvement of social productivity. It promotes equitable community transformation and sustainable development.
Accordingly, the MISSION of TLG is to promote activities that cultivate human creativity, create technical and social inventions, and improve social productivity for sustainable-equitable development and community transformation.
Our OBJECTIVES are to promote creative education and specialized training, undertake innovative research and development planning, and conduct policy research and strategic studies. TLG seeks to promote agricultural innovations and countryside development; environmental protection, conservation and resource management; human settlement studies, planning and design; and social innovations and purposeful community development.
Likhaan aims to carry out scientific investigation and technological studies focused on energy and power, human settlement technologies, environmental technologies, and community design. TLG also offers project management services and undertake enterprise development projects in agri-business, small-medium industries and rural enterprises.
Fundamental Themes and Development Principles. Likhaan, in carrying out its mission and objectives, focuses its efforts on two fundamental themes and two significant development principles: Human creativity and social productivity, and sustainable-equitable development and community transformation. Thus, its corporate name—Likhaan, a word in the Filipino language which means “a place for creative and productive development work”—aptly symbolizes these line of development activities.
Major Concerns and Development Activities
Major Concerns. The development themes and principles are reflected in the activities of Likhaan and its member-organizations. The programs and projects of TLG are concentrated around five overlapping concerns:
- Developing human resources
- Developing organizations and strengthening institutions
- Technological transformation and community innovations
- Promoting sustainable development and equitable distribution of wealth
- Encouraging integrated area development planning and research
Developing human resources: The projects of Likhaan usually include mechanisms for expanding not only the capacities of its project teams, but most especially in developing the creative skills and technical capabilities of its participants, community partners and project beneficiaries through education, training, research and development activities using the participatory process.
Developing organizations and strengthening institutions: Likhaan always assume that its involvement in institution-building and community development projects is time-bounded. It therefore designs and implements programs and projects on the basis of transferring knowledge, information and experiences to project partners and participants so that they will be able to takeover the organization and management of their own developmental activities.
Technological transformation and community innovations: Likhaan is concerned with building up a more technologically efficient response of the people to their environment and resources. It therefore promotes technology transformation, social innovations and community entrepreneurship.
Promoting sustainable development and equitable distribution of wealth: To ensure sustained and equitable development, Likhaan programs and projects are designed to satisfy economic, environmental, social, cultural and technological criteria. In urban and rural communities, Likhaan promotes projects associated or related to sustainable agriculture, harmonious urban-rural industrialization, and equitable sharing of social and economic gains.
Encouraging integrated area development planning and research: To secure systematic integration of development activities in its programs and projects, Likhaan encourages its partners, participants and beneficiaries to look at development planning and research as an integral activity in project development and implementation towards social transformation.
Main Activities. The Likhaan Group and its member-organizations are engaged in creative education and specialized training; innovative research and development planning; policy research and strategic studies; agricultural innovations and countryside development; environmental protection, conservation and resource management; human settlement studies, planning and design; and social innovations and purposeful community development. It is also engaged in scientific investigation and technological studies focused on energy and power, human settlement technologies, environmental technologies, and community design. Likhaan offers project management services, and undertakes enterprise development projects in agri-business, small-medium industries and rural enterprises.
The organizations under TLG also includes private voluntary organizations (PVO) composed of dedicated professionals, educators, intellectuals, human settlement planners, creative researchers, development workers, community innovators and other volunteers. They work collectively to uplift the quality of life of peasants, fishers, rural/landless workers, upland dwellers and tribal communities; urban poor and industrial workers; as well as women, youth and children. Likhaan Group also assists rural entrepreneurs and small business organizations.
Development Work. TLG works with the people, particularly the poor, in enhancing their use and access to resources through education, innovation, cooperation, and provision of extension services, including basic disaster relief and rehabilitation. Likhaan is especially concerned with building up a more technologically efficient response of the people to their environment within the available community resources. It seeks to encourage conservation and management of community resources and their environment, and the reinvigoration of people’s creativity and improvement of social productivity.
The Group promotes the setting up of progressive community innovation models in small islands, coastal, lowland, upland and highland areas. It also provides development services to tribal communities, women, youth and children’s groups and organizations.
Likhaan builds long-term and short-term partnerships with non-government organizations, community associations, people’s organizations, civic associations and sectoral groups in the Philippines to improve their services and strengthen the quality of their educational, research and community development projects.
Likhaan Working Organization
National Council, Directorate & Secretariat, Centers & Units. Likhaan is guided by a National Council. TLG member-organizations operate through the Likhaan Central Secretariat (LCS), which provides administrative resources, executive support and secretariat services, and coordinates the programs and activities.TLG proper has four operating centers, namely:
- Development Planning & Research Centre (DPRC)
- Likhaan Resource Information Centre (LRIC)
- Centre for International Studies & Understanding (CISU)
- Special Projects & Development Concerns (SPDC)
- The Creativity Network (TCN)
- Likhaan Volunteer Corps (LVC)
Volunteers composed of young professionals, teachers, workers, students and out-of-school youth operate TLG centers and units.
LCS has also set-up Likhaan Branches & Alliance Coordination Centers with the Likhaan Alliance Network as extension service groups. These are located in five (5) strategic areas in the Philippines.
Financial Support. Since TLG is a grouping of several institutions integrated into “one” operating organization?not a granting nor funding entity?the activities supported by Likhaan are made possible by funds from public and private sources, mostly national and international donor agencies and philanthropic institutions, corporations and individuals.
Likhaan also seeks professional and technical service contracts, and other support projects to underwrite current activities and to strengthen its financial base.
Likhaan Programs and Projects
Likhaan Development Programs
Community Innovation Models ™ (C•I•M) Program – a program designed to create community development models in selected communities in five agro-ecological resource zones of the Philippines:
- Small Island Communities
- Coastal Communities
- Lowland Communities
- Upland Communities
- Highland Communities
- Urban Communities
- Sambayanihan ™ (Kooperatibang-Korporasyong Bayanihan ng Sambayanan) ™ Program – a new concept of “corporate community” that provides new approach to community development and social transformation. This program hopes to develop rural communities into “corporate bodies” wherein the people in the communities shall function as a virtual “corporation,” managing their resources collectively and earning higher income individually.
- Sakahang Bayan ™ Program - a start-up corporate community-building program in agricultural and fishing communities. This is a productivity-cum-extension service program designed to improve the livelihood of the rural people, more particularly farmers and fisherfolks. The program is a development-oriented, corporate-cooperative farming and/or fishing system at the level of rural corporations or cooperatives.
- Project: ‘Micropolis’* Program, a Barangay Development and Urban Renewal Program – The program is designed to strengthen barangay planning and development management, develop the capacity of LGUs, promote sustainable urban development, improve urban life and service delivery, reduce urban poverty, and increase participation of civil society and private sector in urban reconstruction and social transformation.
- Project: ‘Macropolis’** Program – Like Project: Micropolis, the program is designed to strengthen planning and development management at city/municipal level, develop the capacity of LGUs. It promotes sustainable urban development, improves urban life and service delivery, reduces urban poverty, and increases participation of civil society and private sector in urban reconstruction and social transformation.
Likhaan Development Projects
- Development Management System: D•M•S ™ Project – This project seeks ways to provide a simple framework for understanding development planning, human settlement renewal, fiscal administration, and environmental management by virtue of a whole set of practical theories, methodologies, systems, tools and techniques, and project implementation activities.
- Small Islands Development Management Project – This D•M•S-oriented project seeks to bring small islands into the mainstream of the country’s economic recovery and development efforts, and to build and develop self-reliant, self-propelling and self-sustaining island communities through an ecologically sustainable agriculture and fishery systems.
- Capacity-Building in Good Urban Governance and Community-Driven City Development – This project addresses three major concerns of urban governance, local economic development and city development planning as staging points for poverty reduction, people empowerment and urban development.
- Barangay Development and Community Reconstruction Project – This project seeks to improve the capability of barangay government and barangay-based NGOs as well as the civil society organizations in any city, municipality or barangay by making them both key partners and participants in the implementation of the program of activities. The project aims to upgrade the know-how, skills and methodical disciplines of local LGUs and NGOs.
- Agro-Industrial Park and Trade Center – The project aims to promote employment (livelihood) through the training of skilled manpower by way of technology demonstration and technical agro-industrial education and specialized, job-oriented entrepreneurial training. It intends to incubate and nurture new agro-industrial enterprises and promote the technological advancement of existing labor-intensive, small and medium agro-industries and agro-forestry enterprises.
- Agro-Industrial Village – A model of an agribusiness or agro-industrial village. In this model craft village, the farmers and/or fishers shall be developed and transformed into agri-business entrepreneurs.
- Pandayan Project – a people’s workshop. The PANDAYAN PROJECT is conceived as a people’s workshop for entrepreneurial education and skills development, rural industry and enterprise development, and community technology research and development (R&D).
- GIS Mapping for Economic Development and Environmental Management for provincial and municipal governments – A project to prepare GIS-based provincial and municipal maps that will be useful for economic development planning, trade and investment planning, and development cooperation among local government units.
Likhaan Educational Programs & Training Courses
The InventSchool ™ Educational Programs and Training Courses
Regular Educational ProgramsSTANDARD COURSES OF THE INVENTSCHOOL ™
- Scientific and Technological Creativity (SciTeC™)
- Entrepreneurial Creativity and Venture Management (EnCVM)
- New Products and Innovation Management (NuPIM)
- Creativity in Social Inventions and Community Innovations (SinCom?)
- Entrepreneurial Creativity and Venture Management (EnCVM)
- New Products and Innovation Management (NuPIM)
Introductory Seminar-Workshops and Summer Institute (ISWSI)LATERAL ENTRY COURSES TO THE INVENTSCHOOL ™
- Technological Invention Seminar (TISem)
- Social Invention Seminar (SISem)
- Technological and Social Invention Seminar (TeSIS)
- Orientation Seminar-Workshop on Thinking, Creativity and Creative Teaching/ Learning (OSW)
- Summer Institute on Education for Scientific-Technological Creativity and Social Invention (SumIns)
Teachers’ Forum and Seminar-Workshops (TFSW)SPECIAL ENTRY COURSES TO THE INVENTSCHOOL ™
- Teachers’ Forum on Creativity in Education (T-ForCE)
- Seminar on Shifting Patterns of Education (SPEd)
- Creative Teaching and Instructional Innovations (CTII)
- Workshop on Creative Education and Innovative Learning (CEIL)
- Stimulating Creativity and Inventiveness of Students (SCIS)
Annual Institute, Workshop, Conference, Convention and Invention ExpositionANNUAL PROGRAMS OF THE INVENTSCHOOL ™
- Annual Conference on Technological & Social Inventions (AC-TSI)
- Annual Workshop on Creativity in Science, Technology and Social Inventions (AW-CSTSI)
- Annual Institute on Educational Programs for Scientific-Technological Creativity and Social Invention (AI-EP)
- The InventSchool ™ Annual Convention & Invention Exposition (IS-ACIE)
Likhaan Institute Training Courses
Specialized Training Courses and Seminar-Workshops
Social productivity training programs
1.1 Productivity Training Course
1.2 Productivity Training Course
- Geography (development geography)
- Ekistics (human settlements)
- Informatics (information science & technology)
- Ergonomics / Human Engineering
- Simulation and Gaming Course
- The New Science of Human Creativity (Creatology)
- Competitive Intelligence
Community Development Training Courses and Seminar-Workshops
Community Development and Social Innovations
1.1 Community Development and Social Innovations
Social Research and Development Management
2.1 Development Research
2.2 Community Management and Local Governance
2.3 Corporate Community (Sambayanihan ™)
2.4 Agro-Industrial Village
2.5 Development Management System – D•M•S ™
Environmental Training Courses and Seminar-Workshops
- Community Development and the Environment
- Environmental Management and Pollution Control
- Environmental Management Systems (ISO 14001)
- Solid Waste Management
Human Settlements Training Courses and Seminar-Workshops
- Ekistics, the Science of Human Settlements
- Settlement Studies and Housing Design
- Human Settlements Planning and Design
Education and Training on Good Governance and Public Management
Strategic Management Education Program
1.1 Training Course SME-1: Introduction to Strategic Management for Executives and Staff of LGUs
1.2 Training Course SME-2: Strategy Formulation for Executives and Staff of LGUs
1.3 Training Course SME-3: Strategy Implementation and Evaluation for Executives and Staff of LGUs
- Training Course on Entrepreneurial Governance and Local Development Management
- Training Course on Introduction to Local Development Planning
- Introductory Course in City-Town Planning
- Training Course on Settlements Planning and Design
- Training Course on Project Planning and Management for LGUs
- Training Course on Designing Innovations and Implementing Projects for Development
- Training Course on Social Innovations and Strategic Projects for LGUs
- Training Course on Environmental Management System for LGUs
- Short Training Courses on Governance
The Energaea ™ Institute Training Courses
Energy Training Courses
- Creativity in Energy Research and Development
- Innovation in Rural Energy and Power
- Energy for Community Development
Creative Institute for Arts and Literature Training Courses
Arts Training Courses
- Creativity in Arts and Design
- Arts and Design Training Course
Literature and Journalism Training Courses
- Creativity in Literary Arts
- Creative Writing Course
- Journalism Course
- Understanding the Nature of Creativity and the Structure of Thinking – a half-day free lecture with short, stimulating workshops for all schools, colleges and universities, corporations and business organizations, non-government organizations, cooperatives and community associations, civic associations and religious organizations.
- Creative Problem-Solving and Decision-Making for all groups, organizations or association.
- Organizational and Corporate Creativity for corporations and business organizations.
- Creativity in Development Work for non-government organizations, cooperatives and community associations.
- Creativity in Business and Industrial Innovation for small and medium enterprises.
- Creativity in Education and Teaching for educators/teachers.
- Creativity in Learning for students.
- Continuing Self-Education for Life-Long Learning for everyone.
- Preparing the Logical Framework of programs and projects for everyone in development work.
For the description of the educational programs and training courses, and other requirements, click here.